Monday, September 20, 2010

Blat to Look at That!

Expanded archery season in Maine has begun, which means from time to time, my husband will leave for an over night in hopes of shooting ’the big one’ (a deer). Humph, you may think. Well I think, YeeeHawwww!! Although I absolutely loathe sleeping alone in our bed, I do however love any excuse to eat a box of mac and cheese for supper, turn on my favorite tunes and sing at the top of my lungs as I stir in the powdered cheese…it also means once my little sweet pea is down for the night, I get some MEEEE time!


A few weeks ago I was in a craft store and found these drab, although functional, pocket calendars. Being only $.99 I couldn’t help myself but to pick one up and think ‘I can fab this up’. And that is exactly what I did. It all began with said ugly pocket calendar...

Then I went to my scrapbook ‘vault’ (which is honestly just an unorganized shelving unit) and picked out some cool paper, some paper doilies (which is from another project I will post about in a few days), stickers, a few brads, double sided tape, ribbon, and some little flowers which you may recognize from a previous post. And so the creative juices started to seep from my pores…

I removed the calendar from the clear plastic case, measured the size of the calendar and used those measurements to cut my background paper, and then reduced the size down a 1/2 inch on each side and used that measurement to cut my frilly paper, which I then centered and layered on the solid brown paper.  Then I cut a piece of ribbon for the front and taped it to the back, which the mildly horrendous picture below shows.


After I secured the ribbon, I folded the card sock in half and taped on my doily with the letter "A" on it, and using a brad I adhered a little flower to the front. Then I slipped my new cover inside the plastic cover and slid the calendar underneath it, flipped it over, and this is what I saw.


A pocket calendar that went from "BLAT" to "Look at THAT!"


A fun little project any one can do.

Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, love it! If I were to carry a pocket calendar, I'd love to make it look like that. And the 'A' would fit for me too. ;)

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to, personally, go from "BLAT" to "Look at THAT". Any pointers? Do you have a special vault that might help me out?
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Cute! LOVE IT! Great idea and ummm I want one! =) After all the "A" fits me perfectly =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Afternoon

    Great share, thanks for your time

    ReplyDelete

Good things happen to those who leave Comments!