Dip. Wikipedia offers five definitions of the word:
• Dip (Catalan myth), an evil demonic dog that drinks people's blood
• Dip (dance move), a partner dance move
• Dip (mistake), an act of clumsiness
• Dip (exercise), a type of strength training exercise
• Dip (food), a type of sauce into which food is dipped
Although all fascinating, I prefer the last definition, the kind you eat.
I love a good dip; mix anything with a block of cream cheese, tub of sour cream, or jar of mayonnaise - I will dip a chip and eat it. A while ago at work we hosted a Dip Off! The rules were pretty simple, bring in your favorite dip (homemade), something to dip in it, people would partake in the dippage, anonymously vote for their favorite and the connoisseur behind the winning recipe would be crowned “The Big Dip”. This was one occasion where people were competing to be called a “Dip”.
Well me, a self-certified Dipaholic, thought I had it in the bag, having prepared a scrup-dil-i-oso BLT dip, was devastated when the “The Big Dip” award went to a co-worker for his Buffalo Chicken Dip – wtf!?!
Yeah, I was disappointed, but I have to admit it was gooooood. I love to share a good recipe, so I am posting the recipe for the buffalo chicken dip which is guaranteed to be a hit at your next football party, nascar party, birthday party, pitty party – what ever.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
• 2 (10 ounce) cans of chunk chicken, drained
• 2 packages cream cheese, softened
• 1 cup Ranch dressing
• 3/4 cup hot sauce
• 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in softened cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, stir until melted together. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and place in the microwave (or oven) until hot and bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, or celery.
And because I thought of these while typing this post, I offer you Three Reasons you may be a Dipaholic:
1) You ask your husband if he wants to get “Frito Laid”
2) You name your daughter Salsa
3) You dip a raw vegetable and eat it
(Side Note: who knew Dip was a mythological evil demonic dog that drank human blood – yikes!)