Thursday, May 13, 2010

"What do you do?"

Social networking is a great way to meet new people, develop connections, and enhance your social calendar. From time to time I attend professional networking events and as a result I have met some amazing, talented people and formed some great friendships.

However sometimes these events can get a little awkward... Case in point, I recently attended an event with a co-worker, where we were one of the first to arrive. We set up shop at a near by empty table and not long after a lady came over and asked if she could sit with us, we said of course and she sat down. Now I am all about getting to know new people, but I have to admit when the first question they have for me is “What do you do?” I am immediately turned off. You just met me and that is the first question you want to ask? Seriously?? And you know the ‘do’ is not what do you like to ‘do’, it’s where do you work and what you do there. So with an internal eye roll and small sigh I responded with my current job title and place of occupation. Seemingly satisfied with my response, she moved on to my co-worker and addressed her with the same question.

Now I am sure 89% of people reading this right now have been asked this question before even getting the interrogator’s first name. Why do people do this? Do they feel insecure about what they ‘do’ so they feel the need to size up the competition? Or are they just socially awkward and that’s the first thing they can think to ask?? Wouldn't you just love to respond “Oh, me? I garden, cook supper, love being a Mom, and crap five times a week” (GASP, I know, I can’t believe I just typed that last part either). Can you imagine the look on their face though!!! I bet that would be the last time they started a conversation with “What do you do?” J

1 comment:

  1. I believe you ought to say seven times a week, not just five, it will get you the thumbs up from the vegan crowd.

    ReplyDelete

Good things happen to those who leave Comments!