Monday, December 13, 2010

It's A Family Tree-dition

I have recently read some blog posts about family traditions around the holidays, specifically Christmas. Growing up I can think of a few traditions we had, for instance I would always be the one to put together the nativity scene, usually one handed while using the other to back hand one of my brother's who wouldn't leave me alone (even back then I was a fantastic multi-tasker). Another one I can think of was me always being the first one up on Christmas morning. I would tip toe out to the living room with the innocent anticipation of catching a glimpse of the Big Guy, I would scope out the loot and go wake up my brother's. Together we would go wake up my parents and then we would all sit in the living room and open our gifts. Even today while typing this I can feel the rush of excitement I would feel as a child in that living room playing Santa handing out every one's gifts.

Family traditions don't have to be big things, expensive items, or amazing spectacles; they can be simple things too, like all being together in the same room for one hour, one morning, or one day.

This will be our second Christmas with our daughter and to be honest I CAN'T WAIT!! I can't wait to see her little face on Christmas morning, to see her tackle boxes and devour wrapping paper, but most of all I can't wait to create the moments which she will remember for a lifetime. Okay, so she probably won't remember this Christmas, but I will.

I am hoping over the years we will create our own Christmas traditions, ones that she will remember year after year and will hopefully one day want to share with her own family. One tradition I hope to carry on is us going as a family to pick out and cut down our own Christmas tree. Last year we did this and this year we did it again, and has been something I have looked forward to all year.

I am happy to share with you some images of our little Family Tree-dition!






So I just realized I have no pictures of the actual tree... my bad. I guess watching a toddler and a yellow lab in a Christmas Tree lot takes precedence. But I can tell you one thing, it is tree-riffic!

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. awe, how cute, love that the dog came along too, that was one of our traditions as a kid, cutting our own tree, dog always included, I think she loved it just as much as we did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I live south of the latitude for fir tree growth, our tree-dition isn't what it used to be in Maine. This year things got quite sketchy. Our go-to guy for trees has recently gone through a divorce leaving him broke and exhausted. I told my hubby that if I had to buy my tree at Lowes that I would be making my tree. He said that wasn't very Christmassy - ???? What about getting it at Lowes? I almost died. We had to go through several counties before this Mama finally found a tree. Merry CHristmas Amy. Enjoy your bliss. Carolina

    ReplyDelete

Good things happen to those who leave Comments!