Monday, July 11, 2011

Dinner Plans

The room was silent except for the sound of sizzling cube steak in the cast iron skillet, the room was filled with the warm glow from the unscented pillar candles on the table, rose petals scattered up the stairs, through the kitchen, leading toward the table that was draped with the finest linen minimum wage could buy. I poured myself another glass of wine from the box in the fridge and waited anxiously for my husband to get home. SCREECH! HUH!??! Who just wrote that?? I don't eat cube steak!! HAHA!!

Remember those days when you simply cooked dinner. You cooked what ever you felt like, you cooked it when ever you were hungry, ate it in silence, or perhaps you watched the news, put your dishes in the sink and that was it. Just like brushing your teeth, you don't plan it, you don't look forward to it, you probably don't even remember the details of the event the next day. BUT, and that is a big BUT, when you have kids, what was once just another task you did to get though the day, all of a sudden is a major production.

First of all, you have guests to attend to, many of them show up unexpected and sit in other people's assigned seats.


Which is a huge inconvenience; as it leads to increased mobility and greater access to distractions.


You remove the distractions and think for 3.6 seconds your dinner will once again resume.


That is until... someone else shows up.


Now, you have to be concerned with the unsanitary sharing of food.


And then you realize that two seconds ago she was dipping her snot in the ketchup and think, oh what the heck!


Dinner around here is nothing short of a chore. What was once a simple, mindless task, now requires our full attention. "Amy, just make her sit there and eat it, you are the boss." Yes, I know, I have told myself this a million times, but then I see this and we are right back to square one.


As frustrating as it can be, at least I remember the event in the morning and often share the story with co-workers the next day. One way or another she eats, my husband eats, I eat, even the dog eats and life is good!


Happy Monday!
  

3 comments:

  1. cube steak - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think of EJB, and how forceful she was when she wanted some of my iced water. Even with the snot, I couldn't say no. Love the blog, Amy! Tube steak, not so much. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as the dog isn't eating Baby E's food because Baby E ate the dog's food, I think everything will be all right. I love her lopsided pigtails. It's the yummiest stage, isn't it? I miss everything about that stage. Carolina

    ReplyDelete

Good things happen to those who leave Comments!